Each Echo360 course has an option for instructors to allow or disable the ability to download the media published to classes. The setting applies to all content across the course for students and teaching assistants (TAs). Content owners, Instructors, and Administrators can always download class content.
If disabled, Students and TAs will not see the "Download" or "Download original" menu options when they click on the content icon in the Class List.
Interactive media downloads result in the student or TA downloading the video/audio from which the interactive media was created. Users will NOT see the download option until they have responded to ALL of the polls embedded in the media.
If downloads are enabled, instructors have the additional options for media downloads to ONLY the Audio-file for a video in the class (see the note below). Instructors can also enable or disable whether or users can download media from the course after the end of the term.
If any of these options are dimmed and you cannot change them, it means your administrator has set it at a higher level (organization, department, or institution) and has disallowed overrides for any lower levels. If you think you should be able to change the setting for your section, contact your administrator.
- Selecting Download original from the video or interactive media icon in the class list allows for downloads of only the transcript (if one is available) and the mp3 (audio file) of the media.
- Presentations will not be downloadable, as they do not have separate audio files.
These selections only affect downloads from the Classes list for a course. They do not affect what items a student or TA can download from their Library. As such, you may want to review your Create Copy settings for Students, to be sure students cannot bypass video download limitations by creating their own copy of class published media. Users can still download any content that they own from their Library.
To enable or disable class media downloads for students and teaching assistants
- Log in as an instructor.
- Navigate to the SETTINGS tab for the course.
- Select Features from the left side of the tab, identified in the above figure.
- Toggle the Class Content downloads switch off to disable the ability to download content (it is enabled by default).
- Enable or disable the Audio-only downloads toggle as appropriate.
- Enable or disable the Out of term downloads toggle as appropriate.
- Review and click OK on confirmation messages as they appear.
The Download options are now set and will apply to ALL media published in this course.