By default, students and instructors can download the media published to a class. If you do not want students, teaching assistants, or other instructors to be able to download the video or presentation files in a class, any instructor can disable this feature. Disabling this feature applies to all class content across the section and all users (students and instructors). You can always download content if you own it (it appears in your Library).
If disabled, users will not see the "Download" or "Download original" menu options when they click on the content icon in the Class List.
You do have the option of limiting class media downloads to ONLY the Audio-file for a video in the class. In this case, the download option is ONLY the mp3 audio file of the published video. You can also enable or disable and whether or users can download media from the course after the end of the term.
If any of these options are dimmed and you cannot change them, it means your administrator has it set at a higher level (organization, department, or institution) and with overrides disallowed for any lower levels. If you think you should be able to change the setting for your section, contact your administrator.
- Selecting Download original from the video icon in the class list provides only the mp3 selection for download
- Presentations will not be downloadable, as they do not have separate audio files.
These selections only affect downloads from the Class List for a course. They do not affect what items a user can download from their Library. As such, you may want to review your Create Copy settings for both Instructors and Students, to be sure users cannot bypass video download limitations by creating their own copy of class published content. Users can still download any content that appears in the My Content tab of their Echo360 Home page (media they own).
To enable or disable class media downloads
- Log in as an instructor.
- Navigate to the SETTINGS tab for the course.
- Select Features from the left side of the tab, identified in the above figure.
- Toggle the Class Content downloads switch off to disable the ability to download content (it is enabled by default).
- Enable or disable the Audio-only downloads toggle as appropriate.
- Enable or disable the Out of term downloads toggle as appropriate.
- Review and click OK on confirmation messages as they appear.
The Download options are now set and will apply to ALL media published to this course.