Magic Class List Icons? What does that mean?
Typically students, teaching assistants, and instructors use the class list as a means to enter a classROOM to view or present the media posted there. Play the video, post Q&A or discussion points, take notes, maybe answer some activity slides, etc.
For some users, there are secrets hidden in the class list, that allows them to do other things with the media. Options that aren't available anywhere else.
If you read Your Content Library, you might remember that the your Library page provides access to media outside of a course. So do Groups. This article talks about the media INSIDE of a course. The media icons in the class list may, if the features have been enabled, allow you to copy or download or even edit that media (if you are an instructor or teaching assistant).
Click one of the media icons in the class list. What you see depends on whether you are an instructor, teaching assistant, or a student, and on what settings are enabled or disabled for the institution, the organization, or the course.
There are two screenshots below; the one on the left is the possible Student media icon menu, and the one on the right is the possible Instructor/Teaching Assistant media icon menu. Remember - "possible" is the key here - not all of these options will be available to users across all courses. All users will always see View; View takes you into the classroom, just as if you'd clicked the class row.
|Student Media Icon Menu
(from Class list)
|Instructor/Teaching Assistant Media Icon Menu
(from Class list)
Student Class List Media Features
Students are not able to create copies of Interactive Media regardless of the feature settings.
If the course settings allow it, Students in the section can also view and edit the transcript for a piece of media.
Students may also be able to Download media from the class list. This provides a local copy of the presentation or video, and may only allow for downloads of the audio portion of the video/capture file. Again, the options available depend on the institution, organization, or course settings.
Instructor and Teaching Assistant Class List Media Features
Instructor/Teaching Assistant class list icon options are designed to give ALL instructors and/or teaching assistants in a section some control over the media published to their classes, even if you do not OWN the media. Furthermore, many instructors/teaching assistants find it easier to publish to a class from the class list, than to do so from their content library, because the course and class are already selected for you.
Instructor/Teaching Assistant media icon options can include (based on institution or course settings):
- View - this is the same as entering the classroom by clicking on the class row.
- Create Copy - this creates a copy of this media which you now own. The copy appears in the My Content tab of your Echo360 Home page.
- Details - this opens the Content Details page for this media. What you can do from there depends mostly on whether you own the media, if you are a teaching assistant, and if co-instructor editing is enabled for the course.
- Edit Details - this opens the Edit Media Info dialog box where you can give the media a new (more descriptive) name and provide or edit a description of the item.
- Edit Transcript - this opens the Transcript Editor where you can review and edit the transcript for the media.
- Edit Video/Edit Presentation - this opens the editing page for the media and allows you to change the media itself, either editing the video or the slides in the deck.
- Make unavailable/Make available - this allows you to immediately make the media invisible or visible to students. If set to Unavailable, students will NOT see the item in the classroom or see an icon for the media in the class list.
- Availability Settings - this opens a dialog box where you can set date-based availability for the media; available now, unavailable on X date, etc.
- Download/Download Original - this allows you to download a local copy of the media file to their computer.
- Remove - this option is ONLY available to the owner of the media; this removes or unshares/unpublishes the media from the class. BE CAREFUL! Removing media from the class also removes the student analytic data for that media from the course. This cannot be undone.