NOTE: If you do not see a Download option and do not know why, see the below section on why this command may not be available.
You can download content from Echo360 from the Class List page if you need or want a local copy of the media for offline viewing or file manipulation outside of Echo360.
Be advised that some institutions restrict downloads to only the audio stream of the file. In this case, you will only get the audio stream of the video, and presentations cannot be downloaded from the class list.
If the purpose of downloading from the class list is to then upload the file to your library so you have your own version, you should instead create a copy of the class list media, if this option is available to you.
With respect to downloading presentations, the item downloaded is the original file that was uploaded. This means that:
- If the file has not been altered, you will get the same presentation you see in Echo360.
- If slides have been added, they will not appear in the downloaded file.
- If slides from the original upload have been deleted, they will appear in the downloaded file.
- Interactive activity slides are not included in any download.
To download content from the class list page
- Access the Course you want to open the class list page.
ALTERNATELY, if you enter from an LMS/VLE, click the link to the Echo course from the LMS course page.
If the LMS link puts you directly into a classroom instead of on the Class List page, click the Course name in the top right of the classroom to exit to the Class List.
- Click the content icon for a class in the list for a menu of options for that content, as shown in the below figure.
- Click Download or Download original (depending on whether you will get the item as shown in the class or the originally uploaded content; if an instructor edited the content, the download may not exactly match what you see in the classroom).
- If you are downloading a video, you will receive a Choose your download dialog box as shown below. Use the drop-down list to select the quality of video you want (SD or HD) or if you simply want the Audio file. The size of each download is shown with the quality selection.
- If the capture has DUAL visual feeds, you will see three thumbnails in the box, one for each video stream and one for audio. Select which feed you want, including selecting SD or HD from the drop-down list. This is shown in the below figure
- If you have selected to download a Presentation, the originally uploaded presentation file is downloaded to your local machine.
Downloaded presentations do NOT include any media or activity slides added to the original after upload. Those exist solely in Echo360 and cannot be downloaded.
NOTE: If the video selection options are grayed out, this means that only Audio files can be downloaded for videos in this section.
Depending on your browser settings, you may be prompted to save the file to a specific location, or the browser may automatically save it to your Downloads folder
Why there is no Download option
The ability to download media from the class list of a section can be enabled or disabled by Instructors and/or Administrators. If you do not see a Download command for media, this capability may be turned off for this section. Ask your instructor or an administrator if you think you should be seeing this option.
Presentation files, in particular, have additional limitations with respect to their ability to be downloaded. Apart from only the originally uploaded file being available, as noted above, the following types of presentations cannot be downloaded:
- If the presentation was created entirely within Echo360, with no base file upload, the Download option is not available. There is no original file to download.
- If the presentation was published via the Windows PPT Ribbon add-on, the Download option is not available; these presentations were published but not uploaded as a downloadable file.
Finally, if Downloads are restricted to Audio-only files, no presentations can be downloaded from the class list. Presentations are visual, do not have an audio component, and therefore are not downloadable if this restriction has been applied to the section.