The Classes tab on the Analytics page for a course contains a nice big friendly blue EXPORT button that allows you to export the data from the grid shown in the bottom section of the page.
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! The Exported file contains MORE columns of data than shown on the page, providing a great deal of detail regarding each class in the course and the student interactions with it. Both the interface-shown columns and the exported columns are defined in Definitions of Analytics Data Metrics but are also briefly described below, for ease of access. See the other article, however, if you need more detailed information.
Analytics for LIVE classes - Viewing data for Live Streamed Classes is only gathered from Universal Capture devices and is a little different than for VOD classes in some areas. See the following sections of the Definitions of Analytics Data Metrics page for more details: Attendance Percentage, Video View, and Video View %.
Missing Live Data? As mentioned in the above note, analytics data is only gathered from Live Streamed Classes performed on Universal Capture devices (Pro, Pod, or UC software installations). If you believe you are missing analytics, this is most likely the culprit. No analytics data is gathered from Live Streamed Classes done on legacy SCHDs.
This data is updated throughout the day, at least hourly but typically a few times an hour. So while student interactions may not show up immediately, if you are waiting for class data to update, you should not have to wait long.
Click EXPORT FULL DATA SET to export the data to a CSV file. You may be asked where to save the file, or it may simply end up in your DOWNLOADS folder, depending on your browser settings. The filename is
Classes_[today's date].csv. You may want to add the Section name to the filename if you have many you store in the same location.
The Data Fields provided in the Export are as follows:
- Total Engagement - A total of all of the "countable" data points for each class. This includes: Video Views, Slide Deck Views, Polling Answers, Q&A Entries, Note Events, and Confusion Flags.
- Attendance % - The percentage of all enrolled students who attended class (entered the classroom) while the class was in progress. If the class has no date/time, this is the percentage of enrolled students who interacted with the class in some way (viewed the video/slides, posted a question, took notes, etc).
- Video Views - Total number of times students have entered the online classroom and clicked Play. Does not distinguish between multiple views by a single student, or single views by multiple students.
- Video View % - The percentage of the class' video that has been viewed, averaged across all enrolled students.
- Total Slide Count - The total number of slides in the deck that are NOT Polling/Activity slides.
- Slide Deck Views - Total number of times students have viewed some portion of the slide deck. Does not distinguish between multiple views by a single student, or single views by multiple students.
- Slides Viewed Count - The number of slides (non-polling question slides) that have been viewed by students, averaged across all enrolled students. This includes multiple views of slides by students.
- Poll Question Count - The number of polling questions (also referred to as polling slides or activity slides) published to each class. Only polling questions where at least one student has submitted an answer are counted. This accommodates a situation where the instructor may not have gotten through all of the polling questions in a class.
- Poll Responses Total - The total number of responses provided by students to the polling questions in each class.
- Poll Response Correct Count - The number of CORRECT answers given to polling questions (where a correct answer is identified) in the class, averaged across all enrolled students.
- Poll Response Incorrect Count - The percentage of INCORRECT answers given to polling questions (where a correct answer is identified) in the class.
- Note Events - The total number of notes taken (each distinct note entry) for the class by all students in the section.
- Q&A Events - The total number of questions and responses entered for each class by all students in the section.
- Confusion Flags Enabled - The total number of confusion flags posted for each class by all students in the section.
With respect to Video View Percentage, the figures given are aggregated across all students in the section. So if you have enrolled students who have dropped the course or who have been removed from the system, you may wish to remove (or ask your administrator to remove) those students from your course, so that their non-participation is not skewing your data.
To see this data broken down by Student, or broken down by class for each student, see Exporting Student Analytic Data to CSV file.