The Students tab on the Analytics page for a course contains a nice big friendly blue EXPORT button that allows you to export the data shown in the grid on the page.
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! The Exported file contains MORE columns of data than shown on the page, providing a great deal of detail regarding each class in the course and the student interactions with it.
The BEST part about the Student Analytic Export is that the exported data has BOTH rolled up data for the whole section for each student as well as each class's data for each student. This allows you to see all the information at once for students, or to sort/edit the export to show only the data you need. But ALL of the data appears in a single file.
The below figure shows a sample Students analytics export. Each student's data is grouped.
- The first row for each student has the Section Name, and the fields in that row provide a roll-up of that student's metrics across all classes in the section.
- The subsequent rows show the metrics for that student for EACH CLASS in the section (that has already occurred).
Both the interface-shown columns and the exported columns are detailed in Definitions of Analytics Data Metrics, but are also briefly described below for ease of reference. See the other article, however, if you need more information than is provided here.
Analytics for LIVE classes - Viewing data for Live Streamed Classes is only gathered from Universal Capture devices and is a little different than for VOD classes in some areas. See the following sections of the Definitions of Analytics Data Metrics page for more details: Attendance Percentage, Video View, and Video View %.
Missing Live Data? As mentioned in the above note, analytics data is only gathered from Live Streamed Classes performed on Universal Capture devices (Pro, Pod, or UC software installations). If you believe you are missing analytics, this is most likely the culprit. No analytics data is gathered from Live Streamed Classes done on legacy SCHDs.
This data is updated throughout the day, at least hourly, but typically a few times an hour. So while student actions may not show up immediately, if you are waiting for student data to update, you should not have to wait long.
To export the full section data for students, click EXPORT FULL DATA SET to export the data to a CSV file.
You may be asked where to save the file, or it may simply end up in your DOWNLOADS folder, depending on your browser settings. The filename of the export is
You may want to add the section name to the file if you keep all of your exports in a single place.
To see this data for each class, rolled up for all students in the section, see Exporting Class Analytic Data to CSV file.
The Data Fields provided in the Export are as follows:
- Total Engagement - A total of all of the "countable" data points for this student for this class. This includes: Video Views, Slide Deck Views, Polling Answers, Q&A Entries, Note Events, and Confusion Flags.
- Weighted Engagement % - Previously called Engagement, this field provides an "engagement percentage" for this student for this class, based on the "weight" or importance given to each metric in the Weighting tab of the Analytics page.
- Attendance % - A binary metric (100% or 0% only) that indicates whether or not this student entered the online classroom during class time (if it has a date/time). If the class does not have a date/time, whether or not the student interacted with the materials in the class.
For the section roll-up, this is the percentage of classes the student has "attended" (for which their attendance is 100%).
- Video Views - Total number of times this student viewed any portion of this class' video.
For the section roll-up, this is the number of times the student has viewed any portion of any video in the section.
- Video View % - The percentage of the class' video this student has viewed.
For the section roll-up, this is the percentages for each class averaged across all classes.
- Total Slides in Deck - Total number of slides in this class' deck that are NOT polling question slides. The section roll-up shows N/A for this field.
- Slide Deck Views - Total number of times this student viewed one or more non-polling question slides in this class' slide deck.
- Slides Viewed Count - Total number of slides in each class' slide deck that this student viewed (non-polling slides only). The section roll-up shows N/A for this field.
- Poll Question Count - The number of polling questions (also referred to as polling slides or activity slides) in each class/across all classes in the section. Only polling questions where at least one student has submitted an answer are counted. This accommodates a situation where the instructor may not have gotten through all of the polling questions in a class.
- Poll Responses Total - The number of responses provided by this student to the polling questions in each class/across all classes in the section.
- Poll Response Correct Count - The number of correct responses provided by this student to the polling questions in each class/across all classes in the section that has a correct answer identified.
- Poll Response Incorrect Count - The number of incorrect responses (or non-responses) provided by this student to the polling questions in each class/across all classes in the section that has an incorrect answer identified.
- Note Events - The total number of notes taken (each distinct note entry) by this student in each class/across all classes in the section.
- Q&A Events - The total number of questions and responses entered by this student in each class/across all classes in the section.
- Confusion Flags Enabled - The total number of confusion flags posted by this student in each class/across all classes in the section.