There are three ways to add content to your group:
- Enter the group and click Add Media. These are the instructions provided below.
This provides a list of existing videos or presentations in your Echo360 content library. It also provides the option to upload a file to the group from your local machine or a shared drive.
- Share to the group from a content tile in your content library.
- Share to the group from the Media Details page.
WHO CAN DO THIS? Any group owner, or any member of the group given Add & Upload permissions in the group. Echo360 Admins can also add media to any group.
One thing to note is that the media in the group can be set to appear in the order in which it is ADDED to the group, with the newest additions shown first. Keep this in mind if you want group members to view the media in a certain order. Members can change the displayed order of the media if necessary, but it appears, by default, in the order it is added.
Finally, understand that group media is "shared" media, meaning it is linked to from within the group. The original media file resides in someone's content library; if you or another user deletes that content, it is also removed from the group. If you do not own the media and deletion is a concern, consider making a copy that YOU own (if that option is available to you), and adding the copy to the group instead.
To add media to a group
- Click Groups on the top navigation panel.
- Click on the Group tile to open the group you want to add content to.
The group page opens, with the Content tab active as shown in the below figure.
- Click Add Media from the top of the page.
A dialog box appears with the Import From Your Library tab active, listing all media you have access to, that you can add to this group.
- If you need to upload a media file to include in the group, click the Upload New Media tab, and refer to the instructions later on this page.
- If necessary, use the Search Content text box to find the media file you want to add.
- Select the video or presentation you want to add to the group.
Remember that the order in which the media appears in the group is the order in which it is added to the group, the newest additions shown first.
- At the bottom of the box, click Done.
The Content tab of the group appears, with the added media appearing. Click Add Media and repeat these steps to add more items to the group.
Uploading Media to the Group
The steps below are for uploading a media file (video or presentation) to Echo360 and adding it to the group as a single process. The media is uploaded to your content library, processed, and shared to the Group Content tab for viewing by other group members. NOTE that just like all uploaded media, the media must complete processing before users can view it.
To upload media for sharing in a group
- Enter the group and click Add Media, as described in the above procedure.
- From the media selection dialog box that appears, select the Upload New Media tab, as shown in the below figure.
- Click Select Media.
The dialog box changes to allow you to upload from your local machine (this is the default).
- To select to upload from a shared drive location (such as Dropbox or Google Drive), click the appropriate icon from the list on the left side of the dialog box.
- Follow the options to find and select the media file to upload to the Group.
Remember: The media is actually uploaded to your content library; media is then automatically shared to the group for viewing by group members.
- Click Upload.
Once the file is uploaded, you are returned to the content list in the group and you should see a confirmation message of a successful upload. If an error occurs on upload, you will receive an appropriate message box.
Remember that the newly uploaded media will not have a preview thumbnail; the tile will read Processing while the item is being processed by Echo360. How long this takes is partially dependent on the size of the media file. Once processing is complete, group members will be able to view the media.