Who can do this?
Group Owners and any group member who has been given Add & Upload permissions in the group. Echo360 Admins can also add media to any group.
NOTE that if an Administrator has disabled the Library for students, students cannot add media to the group. They can still participate fully in a Group and can have any permissions other than adding media, including Group Owner. But they will not see the Add Media option described below.
There are three ways to add media to your group:
- Enter the group and click Add Media. These are the instructions provided below.
This provides a list of items in your Echo360 library to choose from. It also provides the option to upload a file to the group from your local machine or a shared drive.
- From the Media Tile button in your library, click Share then select the Groups tab.
- Share to the group from the Media Details page (the bottom of the Info tab).
Adding media to a group is really just "adding a share location" for the media into the group. It is linked to from the group and viewable from there. The original media file resides in someone's library; if you or another user deletes that content, it is also removed from the group. If you do not own the media and deletion is a concern, consider making a copy that YOU own (if that option is available to you), and adding the copy to the group instead.
To add media to a group
- Click Groups on the top navigation panel.
- Click on the Group tile to open the group you want to add content to.
The group page opens, with the Content tab active as shown in the below figure.
- Click Add Media from the top of the page.
- In the dialog box that appears, select one or more pieces of media to add to this group. Use the checkboxes on the left to select multiple items.
The list includes all media from your library that you are permitted to add to the group. You can select and add up to 30 items at a time.
Alternately, you can upload new media to the group, using the instructions included later on this page.
- Use the Sort by drop-down list and arrow to change the order in which the media list is shown.
By default, the media is listed in alphabetical order by name, with "Untitled" media shown first. Your options include Name, Date Created, or media Type (audio, interactive media, poll, presentation, video) as shown in the below figure.
- If necessary, use the Search Content text box and/or Filters options to find the media file you want to add.
- Clicking Filters opens a dialog box similar to the Library filter, shown below, allowing you to narrow the list by media type, owner, source, status (shared/published or not), and publishing location.
- Select the media you want to add and click Done at the bottom of the dialog box.
TIP: You can sort and filter and re-sort and re-filter as often as you want to find and select multiple items from the list. Each selection is retained (until you de-select it) and a running count of selected media is provided at the bottom of the list. This is highlighted in the above figure.
The Content tab of the group appears, now containing the added media, as shown below.
Uploading Media to the Group
The steps below are for uploading a media file to Echo360 and adding it to the group as a single process. The media is uploaded to your library, processed, and shared to the group. NOTE that just like all uploaded media, the media must complete processing before users can view it.
To upload media for sharing in a group
- Enter the group and click Add Media, as described in the above procedure.
- From the media selection dialog box that appears, select the Upload New Media tab, as shown in the below figure.
- Click Select Media.
The dialog box changes to allow you to upload from your local machine (this is the default).
- To upload media:
- If the file is on your local machine, click the Select Files to Upload icon in the middle of the dialog box shown above.
- If the file is in a shared drive location (such as Dropbox or Google Drive), click the appropriate icon from the list on the left side of the dialog box.
- Follow the options to find and select the media file(s) you want. You can select to upload up to 30 different media items at a time.
Remember: The media is actually uploaded to your library; it is then automatically shared to the group for viewing by group members.
- Click Upload.
Once the file is uploaded, you should see a confirmation message of a successful upload. Close the message, and the Content tab for the group appears. If an error occurs on upload, you will receive an appropriate message.
The newly uploaded media will not have a preview thumbnail; the tile will read Processing while the item is being processed by Echo360. How long this takes is partially dependent on the size of the media file. Once processing is complete, group members will be able to view the media and a thumbnail will appear.