Who can see this?
All users who have media in their Library can view the details page for that media.
Students who do not have a Library option in the top navigation cannot access this page.
All Admins can view details for media from the Captures page.
All Instructors and Teaching Assistants can view the details page for media in their courses.
As the name would imply, the Media Details page provides details about the media, and provides access to functionality not otherwise available.
There are two ways to access to the media details page:
- Click on a media tile in your Echo360 Library.
- Click on the media icon in the Class List of your course and select Details from the menu. This is not available for students.
The top section of the Media Details page has a playback or preview panel at the top. This allows you to play the video or page through the slides. The area immediately below the playback panel contains the title of the media and a set of commands along with other information. These are all described in the below sections of this page.
The above figure shows Info, Analytics, Details, and Activity tabs, which appear for all video/audio media. The contents of these are described in the below sections of this page.
For Interactive Media, those four tabs appear, as well as a Polling tab.
If this is a poll or a presentation slide deck, only two of the above-shown four tabs appear: Info and Details.
The Commands shown for the media in the details page are described below. Which commands are available to you depends on your role in the system and whether or not you own this piece of media. If a command is grayed out and not selectable, you cannot perform that action on this media.
- Share - Opens the Share Settings dialog box, allowing you to share the media with another Echo360 user, create a public link, or publish to a class.
These are the same sharing actions that can also be done using the options located in the Share Settings areas of the Info tab, described later on this page.
- Edit Media - Opens the video or presentation editor as appropriate to the type of media this is. See Editing a Video or Editing a Presentation as needed. This command is NOT available for Interactive Media. See the bullet for Add A Poll/Edit Polls below.
- Edit Transcript - Opens the Transcript Editor, where you can edit the transcript text, the speaker identifications, and apply the transcript as closed captions if needed. See the articles located in Using the Echo360 Transcript Editor. Does not appear for presentations.
- Add A Poll or Edit Polls - Opens the Interactive Media editor, where you can embed a poll into a video or edit the polls already resident in the interactive media. Add Poll appears for a video; Edit Polls appears for interactive media (a video with polls already embedded in it).
- Edit Details - Opens the Edit Details dialog box where you can enter/edit a Title, Description, and Tags for the media. See also Editing Media Name and Description.
- Make A Copy - Creates a copy of the media that you now own. The copy appears in your library with your name as owner. See also Creating Copies of Media.
- Download - Allows you to download a copy of the media to your local drive. If it is a video, you are asked to make selections regarding video, quality, or download only audio of the file. You can also use the links to the processed and source files located in the bottom right section of the Media Details page to download files locally. See also Downloading Content to your Computer.
- Delete/Remove - Deletes the media entirely. Deleting it removes it from any classes, groups, other user's libraries, and any other linked or embedded locations. This can ONLY be done by the owner of the media (or an administrator).
If the option shows Remove, this is a piece of shared media that is owned by someone else. Removing it only deletes it from YOUR Library. See also Deleting Your Echo Content.
Below the row of commands you will see one or more tabs for this media, each containing different information or actions for the media. These are identified in the above figure and discussed in the sections that follow on this page.
The Info Tab
The Info tab for the media is shown by default when you open the Media Details page. The top part of the tab contains basic media information, as identified in the above figure and described below.
The main section of the Info tab contains all the Share settings available to you, along with all of the shares that have already occurred (to classes, to individuals, to groups, and links that have been created for the media if it applies).
Each of the areas of this tab are described below.
The top part of the Info tab contains the basic media information, including the Title of the media, a description if there is one, the owner, and when the media was created. These are all identified in the figure above.
If you hover your mouse over the created time frame (i.e. "created 5 months ago") a pop up appears showing you the date/time the media was created in Echo360. This is shown in the below figure.
Share Settings - Classes
What you see and can do in the Share Settings areas of the page depends on your role(s) in Echo360 and whether or not you have access to certain features or functionality for this media. The figure below is an instructor's media details page for media he (John Dowling) owns.
If the item is published, the Classes area of the page shows the class name, course, and section where this item has been published. This does not appear for Students.
- Click Add To A Class to add the media to a course.
- Click the X to the right of a listed class to remove this item from that class.
Share Settings - Individuals
The Individuals area of the page lists all the Echo360 users to whom this media has been shared. The figure above shows that this item has been shared with one user, Thomas Skelding.
- Click into the Share with drop-down box and begin typing a user's name or email address, then select the user from the matching options that appear.
- Click the X to the right of a user to un-share this media with that user.
Share Settings - Links
The Links area of the page lists all links that have already been generated for this media and allows you to control and configure them as needed.
- Click Add Link to create a link to this media
- Toggle the Share slider on or off to Activate or Deactivate an existing link.
- Click Delete for a link to delete an existing link.
Share Settings - Groups
The Groups area of the page lists all of the Groups where this media has been added, and lets you share it to additional groups or remove it.
The only groups available to add this media to are those in which you are a member in which you have Add & Upload rights. Similarly, you can only remove this media from a group if you have Remove rights in the group.
See the articles in the Using Groups section of the online help for more information.
REMEMBER: What Share Settings areas and options appear in the Info tab depends on the type of media it is (e.g., you cannot generate links for presentations), whether you own it (e.g, you can only share media you own), whether you are an instructor or teaching assistant or student (e.g., students cannot publish media to classes), and some system settings as configured by your administrator (e.g., shared media may or may not be able to be copied or downloaded).
The Details tab is available for all types of media, and contains information about how the media was generated, links to download media files, and access to manage Captions or Transcripts for the media (if you have those rights). There may also be media IDs and other information that can be copied and sent to your Administrator or to Echo360 Support to troubleshoot issues with the media if you have any.
The Captions entry in the General section of the Details tab identifies whether this video has a closed captioning file applied to it, and allows you to Add (upload) or Delete a closed captioning file as needed.
The Transcripts entry in the General section identifies whether this video has been transcribed and allows you to Add transcriptions if needed, download an existing transcript, or to Edit the transcript. Whether you can control the transcripts for this media depends on your role, certain system settings for your institution, and whether or not you own the media.
The Analytics Tab
The Analytics tab only appears for video, audio, or interactive media. It provides viewing data for this piece of media, indicating how many users have viewed the media, how long they viewed it, and where the views came from. Below is an overview of the data provided here.
For more detailed information than is provided here, see View Analytics on the Media Details Page.
Analytics - Overview
The top section of the Analytics tab gives overview information regarding anonymous and identified views for the past 12 months.
Analytics - View by Date Chart
Below the Overview is a bar chart that identifies WHEN views actually occurred for the time range selected. The Past 30 days is shown by default, but you can select a different range from the Time Range drop-down list identified in the below figure.
There is also a Media Location drop-down list, identified in the below figure, that allows you to limit the data shown in the bar chart the tables below it to views that came from a particular location or type of location. This includes options such as All Courses, or Not Course Related.
These drop-down lists work together to filter the data shown not only in the chart, but also in the View by Location tables and Users view data described in the sections that follow.
Notice there is a Download Data button next to the drop-down lists. This button generates and downloads a CSV file containing the view data shown in the view-by-location tables. This download, like the data shown on the page, is subject to any filtering applied via BOTH drop-down lists. Meaning the data in the file will match what is shown on the page. If there is no data for the time-range and/or media location selected, this button is grayed out.
No views for the Time Range and/or Media Location: Remember that that the drop-down lists filter the data shown in all or the sections below them. If you change the Time Range to "Past 7 days" and/or have select a Media Location where no views occurred in that time frame, the bar chart will be empty AND there will be no tables below the chart. In addition the data in the Download Data button will be disabled.
Analytics - View by Location Tables
The tables below the bar chart, shown in the above figure, provide viewing details for each location where the media was viewed from. This includes any Echo360 course where the item may be published, any LMS Course where this media may be embedded for viewing.
Not Course Related views are a more generalized category and includes views from a public link to the media, views from a Group where the media has been shared, as well as views through the media details page by other users.
Analytics - User View Data
Below the View by Location tables is a list of all users who have viewed this media.
The User views list, like the View by Date chart and View by Location tables are subject to the Time Range and Media Location drop-down list selections. This means you can filter the list to see what users viewed the media in a certain time frame, or what users viewed the media from a certain published location, or both.
The Users list can be sorted by each of the columns as needed. Click the heading of a column to sort the list by that field. First click sorts ascending, second click sorts descending. The arrow icon shown indicates the direction of sort or no sort (if both arrows appear). The above figure shows the Users list sorted by User (user last name) in ascending (a-z) order. This is the initial default view.