As the name would imply, the Media Details page provides details about the media, and provides access to functionality not otherwise available.
There are two ways to access to the media details page:
- Click on a media tile in your Echo360 Library.
- Click on the media icon in the Class List of your course and select Details from the menu. This is not available for students.
If you are a student, and you have no items in the Library area of Echo360 OR you do not have a Library option in the top menu, this article does not apply to you. You only have access to media through your courses and by viewing a classroom. See Accessing Courses and Accessing Classes for more information, along with Using Classroom Tools for what you can do in the classroom.
The top section of the Media Details page has a playback or preview panel at the top. This allows you to play the video or page through the slides. The area immediately below the playback panel contains the title of the media and a set of commands. These are described in the section below.
The Commands shown for the media in the details page are described below. Which commands are available to you depends on your role in the system and whether or not you own this piece of media. If a command is grayed out and not selectable, you cannot perform that action on this media.
- Share - Opens the Share Settings dialog box, allowing you to share the media with another Echo360 user, create a public link, or publish to a class.
These are the same sharing actions that can also be done using the options located in the Share Settings sections of the Info tab, described in the section below.
- Edit Media - Opens the video or presentation editor as appropriate to the type of media this is. See Editing a Video or Editing a Presentation as needed. This command is NOT available for Interactive Media. See the bullet for Add A Poll/Edit Polls below.
- Edit Transcript - Opens the Transcript Editor, where you can edit the transcript text, the speaker identifications, and apply the transcript as closed captions if needed. See the articles located in Using the Echo360 Transcript Editor. Does not appear for presentations.
- Add A Poll or Edit Polls - Opens the Interactive Media editor, where you can embed a poll into a video or edit the polls already resident in the interactive media. Add Poll appears for a video; Edit Polls appears for interactive media (a video with polls already embedded in it).
- Edit Details - Opens the Edit Details dialog box where you can enter/edit a Title, Description, and Tags for the media. See also Editing Media Name and Description.
- Make A Copy - Creates a copy of the media that you now own. The copy appears in your library with your name as owner. See also Creating Copies of Media.
- Download - Allows you to download a copy of the media to your local drive. If it is a video, you are asked to make selections regarding video, quality, or download only audio of the file. You can also use the links to the processed and source files located in the bottom right section of the Media Details page to download files locally. See also Downloading Content to your Computer.
- Delete/Remove - Deletes the media entirely. Deleting it removes it from any classes, groups, other user's libraries, and any other linked or embedded locations.This can ONLY be done by the owner of the media.
If the option shows Remove, this is a piece of shared media that is owned by someone else. Removing it only deletes it from YOUR Library. See also Deleting Your Echo Content.
Below the row of commands you will see one or more tabs for this media, each containing different information or actions for the media. These are identified in the below figure and discussed in the sections that follow on this page.
The Info Tab - Media Information
The Info tab for the media is shown by default when you open the Media Details page. It provides the Title of the media, the owner, and when the media was created.
If you hover over the created time frame (i.e. "created 5 months ago") a pop up appears showing you the date/time the media was created in Echo360.
The above figure shows the tabs available for video or audio media. Which other tabs appear depends on what kind of media this is. The possibilities include Info, Analytics, Details, and Activity tabs.
If this is a poll or a presentation slide deck, there are two tabs: Info and Details.
If this is interactive media (a video with embedded polls), there is also a Polling tab.
The Info Tab - Share Settings
The main section of the Info tab contains all the Share settings available to you, along with all of the shares that have already occurred (to classes, to individuals, to groups, and links that have been created for a video if it applies).
What you see and can do in the Share Settings sections depends on your role(s) in Echo360 and whether or not you have access to certain features or functionality for this media. The figure below is an instructor's media details page for media he (John Dowling) owns. This media has been published to two different classes, and has been shared with one other user.
The Share Settings for Classes and Individuals contain the following information and options:
Share to Classes - The Classes section shows the class name, course, and section where this item has already been published. See also Share (Publish) and Unshare Media to a Course. This does not appear for Students.
- Click Add To A Class to add the media to a course.
- Click the X to the right of a listed class to remove this item from that class.
Share to Individuals - The Individuals section lists all the Echo360 users to whom this media has been shared. See also Sharing and Unsharing Media with other Echo360 Users.
- Click into the Share with drop-down box and begin typing a user's name or email address, then select the user from the matching options that appear.
- Click the X to the right of a user to un-share this media with that user.
The Share Settings for Links and Groups, shown in the below figure, contains the following information and options:
Share a Link/URL - The Links section lists all links that have already been generated for this media and allows you to control and configure them as needed. See also Generating a Web Link and Embed Code for a Video.
- Click Add Link to create a link to this media
- Toggle the Share slider on or off to Activate or Deactivate an existing link.
- Click Delete for a link to delete an existing link.
Share to Groups - The Groups section lists all of the Groups where this media has been added, and lets you share it to additional groups if necessary.
The only groups available to add this media to are those in which you are a member in which you have Add & Upload rights. Also you can only remove this media from a group if you have Remove rights in the group. See the articles in the Using Groups section of the online help for more information.
REMEMBER: What tabs appear and what options appear on each of those tabs (the Info tab in particular) depends on the type of media it is (e.g., you cannot generate links for presentations), whether you own it (e.g, you can only share media you own), whether you are an instructor or a student (e.g., students cannot publish media to classes), and some system settings as configured by your administrator (e.g., shared media may or may not be able to be copied or downloaded).
The Details tab is available for all types of media, and contains information about how the media was generated, links to download media files, and access to manage Captions or Transcripts for the media (if you have those rights). There may also be media IDs and other information that can be copied and sent to your Administrator or to Echo360 Support to troubleshoot issues with the media if you have any.
The Captions entry in the General section of the Details tab identifies whether this video has a closed captioning file applied to it, and allows you to Add (upload) or Delete a closed captioning file as needed.
The Transcripts entry in the General section identifies whether this video has been transcribed and allows you to Add transcriptions if needed, or to Edit the transcript. Whether you can control the transcripts for this media depends on your role, certain system settings for your institution, and whether or not you own the media.
The Analytics Tab
The Analytics tab only appears for video, audio, or interactive media. It provides viewing data for this piece of media, indicating how many users have viewed the media, how long they viewed it, and where the views came from. Below is an overview of the data provided here. For more information see Analytics on the Media Details page for details.
The top section of the Analytics tab gives overview information regarding anonymous and identified views for the past 12 months.
Below the Overview is a bar chart that identifies WHEN views actually occurred for the time range selected. The Past 30 days is shown by default, but you can select a different range from the drop-down list identified in the below figure.
Below the bar chart are one or more tables that identify where the views came FROM. This includes all Echo360 courses where the item may be published, an LMS Course where this media may be embedded for viewing, as well as non-course related views that can come from other locations such as Groups or from public links to the video posted for more generalized access.
Selecting a different time range from the drop-down list changes not only the bar chart, BUT ALSO the data shown in the tables and the Download Data file if it applies. For example, if you change the Time Range to "Past 7 days" but there have been no views in that time period, the bar chart will be empty AND there will be no tables below the chart, and there will be no available download, as there is no view location data for that time-range.