A Poll is an activity or question used to embed polling questions into videos or presentations. Embedding a polling question into a video turns it into a piece of interactive media.
As described in Polls and Polling Questions - Overview, a Poll can be generic, and used as the base from which you generate a polling question to embed in a video. Then you can edit the polling question after it is embedded to be more specific to the class or the media. Alternately, a Poll can be quite specific, allowing you to simply embed the poll and leave it as is.
Polls are created in several ways.
- When you add a new Poll to a presentation slide deck, a new poll is created in your library. Adding an existing poll already resident in another presentation does NOT create a new poll. That poll probably already exists in your poll library.
- If you are an existing Echo360 user with presentations containing polling slides, all the polling slides you had were converted into Polls when the interactive media feature was released. We recommend you review the help article on removing unneeded polls from your Library, as it is likely you have duplicates.
- Creating a new poll to embed in a video. These are the instructions contained below.
- Create a copy of an existing poll. Those instructions appear at the bottom of this page.
Remember that a Poll is is designed to be used and re-used. Once a poll is embedded in a video, it becomes a "polling question". The Poll remains static, and the polling question is now specific to the media it resides in. Creating a Poll as shown below creates BOTH a Poll and embeds a polling question into the media at the same time.
If you already have a poll in your library that you can use, see Embedding Polls into Videos or Adding and Removing the Embedded Polls in Interactive Media
To create a new poll
- Find a video or interactive media you want to create a new poll for.
- For a video, select Add a Poll. The below figure shows this command in the media details page, but this command is also available from the menu button on the media tile in the library.
- For interactive media, select Edit Polls. The below figure shows this command in the media details page, but this command is also available from the menu button on the media tile in the library.
- In the screen that appears, select Create A Poll.
- Select the type of poll you want to create. Your options include:
- Complete the poll fields as provided, depending on the type you chose. Be SURE to include a timestamp where you want the polling question based on this new poll to be placed. You can edit this later as needed.
- If desired, enter response feedback for students after they respond. The feedback can be for correct and/or incorrect answers, or more generalized feedback for the poll as a whole.
This feedback is shown to students AFTER they respond to an interactive media poll, or after the poll is closed for further responses in a presentation.A Short Answer poll is shown in the below figure.
- Click Done.
You now have a new poll embedded in your media, as well as available from your Library Polls for insertion into other media. The Library Polls tab appears in the bottom section of the page showing the new poll you just created along with any others you already have.
The below figure shows a video with the above-created short answer poll embedded in it. If you click the Embedded Polls tab in the bottom section of the screen, you can see the embedded polling question, including the time stamp and a preview of the question text. The playback bar also identifies the location of the embedded polling question relative to playback.
Create a Copy of a Poll
You can also create polls in your library by creating copies of existing polls.
Remember: a poll is a re-usable item. It can be inserted into media and then edited to be specific to that media, or you can have all of your polls be very specific. That is up to you.
If another user has shared a presentation with you, you may have shared polls in your library. Creating a copy of these generates a copy of that poll in your library that you now own. You can always use shared polls to create polling questions in interactive media, but if the owner "unshares" the presentation or polls from you, you would no longer have access to them for future use. Any existing embedded polling questions will remain in their media until YOU remove them from the media.
To create a copy of a poll
- Find the poll you want a copy of.
- Select Make A Copy from the media tile icon.
- Alternately, you can click ON the poll and select Make a Copy from the media details page.
The copy of the poll appears in your Library with your name shown as the owner. If this is a copy of a shared poll, you can now remove the original from your library if you want to.