The instructions on the page refer to using the New Device Capture option from the Create button in the main menu bar. If you do not have this option, or if you are using a Universal Capture software installation to create the ad hoc capture, see Creating an Ad Hoc Capture using Universal Capture.
If enabled by your system administrator, Instructors will see a New Device Capture option in the Create menu. This allows you to initiate an ad hoc capture using the capture appliance installed in the room. Teaching Assistants and Students do not have access to this option.
This option opens a dialog box allowing you to select the room/device to record from, duration, quality, publish location, and Live stream option if publishing to a course.
For information on the capabilities or limitations surrounding ad hoc device captures, including maximum duration, refer to the Additional Things to Know section of the Creating an Ad Hoc Capture help article.
To create a new device ad hoc capture
- Enter Echo360 as an Instructor
- Click the Create button from the top menu bar.
- Select New Device Capture as shown in the figure at the top of this page.
- From the Start a new capture dialog box, shown above, select the following configuration options:
- Where? - Select the room/device where the recording is taking place.
- Hours/Minutes - Select the duration for the capture you are creating.
- Inputs - The visual channel inputs you want for the capture (or select Audio only). The room (Where) selection may pre-populate the Input selection. Change this if necessary or select one if it is not set for you.
- Quality - The visual input quality you want for this capture. The room (Where) selection may pre-populate the Quality selection. Change this if necessary or select one if it is not set for you.
IMPORTANT: If you are planning to stream the capture Live, do NOT select Highest Quality; live streaming performance is likely to suffer, particularly for users with lower or shared bandwidth.
- In the Publish To drop-down list, select a course where you want the completed capture to be published. The new class to hold the capture will be named Ad Hoc Capture as will the completed recording.
Alternately, if you do not select a course, the recording will appear only in your library. At that point, you can rename the capture and place it into a class later. All ad hoc recordings you generate will appear in your library when they are finished.
- If appropriate, toggle the Live stream switch ON to generate a live stream of the capture. YOU MUST publish to a course in order to enable the Live switch.
- When finished, click Start.
Once you have created your capture, you will get a confirmation message that it has been sent to the Room you selected. If enabled by your system administrator, the confirmation message will include a Check Capture button which will launch the Universal Capture: Online interface to allow you to monitor and control your capture (does not apply to legacy SCHDs).
The capture will continue for the duration you set, OR until the next scheduled capture for that room/device is set to begin. If you attempt to set the duration of your ad hoc capture beyond the start time of the next scheduled capture, you will receive a warning notifying you of the conflict. You are given the option of either generating the ad hoc capture for the truncated duration or canceling and selecting a different room.
It may take up to 5 minutes for a Live stream to begin. It typically does not take that long, but allow for that time just in case. You can always edit the recording later to remove any dead time at the beginning of the capture.