This article covers the Instructor features for the Discussion panel in the New Player. For more general information on using the Discussion panel, see Viewing and Participating in Discussion with the Media Player.
If the media is embedded on a page, you should see a Discussions link below the main playback panel. This opens the media into its own tab, with the Discussion panel appearing on the right side, as shown in the below figure. If you are also viewing the media Transcript panel, Discussions appear below the playback area instead.
Instructors or teaching assistants can choose to go in and seed discussion comments at particular points in the video, but students don’t need to wait for an instructor to assign or moderate participation. Any user viewing the media can just dive right in and engage with the material.
An Instructor badge appears for any post created by an instructor. For information on making comments or replies, see Viewing and Participating in Discussion with the Media Player.
Showing and Hiding All Names
If you need to present or share your screen for any reason while also monitoring Discussion, you can hide the student names associated with all of the comment and reply posts. Instructor names are never hidden.
- Navigate to the piece of media where you want to monitor Discussion.
- Click Hide Names in the top-right corner of the Discussion panel.
All student names will then update to display "name hidden".
- When you are ready, you can click Show Names to re-display the student author's names.
NOTE that if a user opted to hide their name when posting a comment/reply, their name will still show as "name hidden" when using the Show Names button. See the below section on how to view the author of an individual post.
Revealing a Hidden Name
If you need to know who posted a comment or reply, but the user hid their name when posting, you can reveal the author's name for an individual post.
- In the Discussion panel, find the comment or reply whose author you want to identify.
- Click the ellipsis in the top-right corner of the post to open the options menu.
- Click the Reveal Name option in the menu that appears.
- When you are ready, you can click the Hide Name option from the same menu to re-hide the author's name.
Additional Discussion Features
To endorse or agree with a particular post, click the "thumbs up" icon.
Any instructor or teaching assistant in the course can remove any comments or replies posted by any user if they are inappropriate. Note that removing original posts/comments will also delete any/all replies given for the comment.
- In the Discussion panel, find the comment or reply you want to remove.
- Click the ellipsis in the top-right corner of the post to open the options menu, as shown above.
- Click the Remove Comment or Remove Reply option that appears.
- Click Remove on the confirmation box that appears.