This article covers the Instructor features for the Discussion panel in the New Player. For general Discussion information, see Viewing and Participating in Discussion with the New Player.
The Discussion panel is one way to both encourage and monitor student comments, replies, or other relevant posts in the New Player. The panel is always shown while viewing authenticated content with the Full-Tab Player. If viewing content in the Embedded Player, Discussion is available from a link below the player itself that also shows the count of any new post created within the last 24 hours.
Instructors or teaching assistants can choose to go in and seed discussion comments at particular points in the video, but students don’t need to wait for an instructor to assign or moderate participation, they can just dive right in and engage with the material together. An Instructor badge appears for any post created by an instructor. For information on making comments or replies, see Viewing and Participating in Discussion with the New Player.
Some Safari users do not receive discussion updates when other users add comments or replies. Refreshing the browser page in Safari resolves the issue.
Showing and Hiding All Names
If you need to present or share your screen for any reason while also monitoring Discussion, you can hide the student names associated with all of the comment and reply posts. Instructor names are never hidden.
- Navigate to the piece of media where you want to monitor Discussion.
- Click Hide Names in the top-right corner of the Discussion panel.
All student names will then update to display "name hidden".
- When you are ready, you can click Show Names to re-display the original poster names.
NOTE that if a user opted to hide their name when posting a comment/reply their name will still display as "name hidden" when using the Show Names button. See the below section on how to view the author of an individual post.
Revealing a Hidden Name
If you need to know who posted a comment or reply, but the user hid their name when posting, you can reveal the author's name for an individual post.
- Find the comment or reply in the Discussion panel where you would like to see the name of the poster.
- Click the ellipsis in the top-right corner of the post to open the options menu.
- Click the Reveal Name option in the menu that appears.
- When you are ready, you can click the Hide Name option from the same menu to re-hide the name of the poster.
Additional Discussion Features
As an instructor, you can remove any comments or replies posted by students if they are inappropriate. Note that removing comments will also delete any replies posted to the comment.
To endorse a particular post, click the "thumbs up" icon.