When viewing content in the New Player, you can simply play or page through the media there and be done with it. Or you can use the provided tools to interact with the media.
The tools available in the New Player are designed to help you retain the information as well as interact with other users. The toolset provided is nearly identical for students as they are for instructors/teaching assistants, with a few differences.
This article provides information on all of the tools you may see, depending on your role and which features have been enabled for your course or institution.
NOTE: The new player described here is also used for interactive media published to an Echo360 course, but does not have the same toolset as the existing classroom player. Neither Notes nor Confusion flags exist yet in the newer version of the player; you will see Discussions if Q&A is enabled for your course.
The Transcript Panel behaves the same way as it does with the In-Classroom Transcript Panel, with one exception. You can also download an available transcript in either VTT or TXT format. When you are able to see the Transcript Panel is conditional based on how the content is accessed, as well as the availability of a transcript.
Transcripts for Links and New Embeds
When viewing embedded content created after the November 2-3, 2020 deployment, or viewing any Video Access Link, the Transcript button is always shown whenever a transcript is available.
- When a link/embedded content is created and a transcript exists, the Transcript button is shown.
- When a link/embedded content is created and there is no transcript, no transcript button or panel is available.
- If a link/embedded content already exists and then a transcript is generated, the Transcript button will automatically appear when the transcript is available.
Transcripts for legacy "Tall" Embeds
When viewing embedded content created prior to the November 2-3, 2020 deployment, the availability of the Transcript depends on whether there was a transcript available at the time the Embed code was generated.
- When the embed code is created, if a transcript exists, any embedded content using that code will show the transcript (with the option to Hide it if desired).
- When the embed code is created, if there is no transcript, no transcript panel is displayed for any embedded content using that code.
- If an embed code already exists and has been used to create embedded content, and then a transcript is generated, the embedded content is not updated.
In order to see a transcript that was created after embedding:
- Click the Expand button.
- Re-generate the embed code and update the page where the content is embedded.
The Discussion panel appears by default to the right of the media when viewing the Full-Tab player, allowing you to View and Participate in discussions. Instructors can also use the panel to Monitor Discussion. When viewing the Embedded player, Discussion appears as a clickable link below the player along with a count of any new posts created within the last 24 hours. Clicking the link will open the Full-Tab player.
NOTE: Discussion is only available for authenticated content that is able to provide a context within Echo360. This means content that has been embedded into LMS/VLE courses using the Echo360 embed tool or activity tool link features.
Polls and Interactive Media
Polling Questions can be embedded into videos to create Interactive Media. Any poll "gates" the playback so that Students cannot continue viewing or listening (or viewing a transcript or video references from Discussion posts) until they respond to the poll. For more information, see Viewing Videos with Embedded Polling Questions.
BE ADVISED: Students can respond ONLY ONCE to embedded polls. This is because any response allows the user to continue viewing the video, thereby negating the purpose of gating it. Once they respond, the student is shown their answer along with the correct answer (if one is identified) for the question.