Who can add users to a collection?
Collection Managers (formerly called Owners) and Echo360 administrators can control collection membership (adding, removing, changing member permissions).
Adding users to a collection allows those users to have access to the media in the collection. What they can do with the media depends on collection permissions they are granted. All members of the collection can view the media.
There are two ways to add users to a collection:
- Individually, from the membership tab, as described on this page
- Using the Enrollment Link to allow users to add themselves to the collection
The Membership tab provides a list of collection members, access to the Add Member button, identified in the below figure.
You can change any collection member's access level or permissions at any time, except for other managers. Managers cannot remove or demote (reduce permissions) of other managers in the collection. Only Echo360 administrators can perform that task. Alternately you can ask the other manager to leave the collection, then add them back with different permissions.
NOTE: Per the information below, you can give users editing rights to the media in the collection. However, the media editing commands, specifically Edit media, Edit Transcript, Edit Details, and Add Poll are NOT yet available in the media details page within the Collection. Those will be added in an upcoming release (and this note will be removed). The ability to perform those functions IS available through the Media Details Page for the media through the member's Library.
To add a user to a collection
- Enter the collection you want to add the user to.
- Click the Membership tab, identified in the figure at the top of this page.
- Click the + Member (add member) button, identified in the figure at the top of this page.
- In the Add a Member modal shown below, begin typing in the Share with field to begin a search for matching users. The search attempts to match first name, last name, and email address with the text you enter as you type.
- When the user you want appears, select them from the list.
- Click on the Access level drop-down list to select the permissions you want to give this user. Selecting each Access level displays a list of that level's media permissions, all of which are described in Managing Collection Membership and Permissions.
- If none of the pre-set access levels are appropriate, click Custom, then use the checkboxes to add specific media permissions to this user. Your Custom selection options are described in Managing Collection Membership and Permissions.
- When finished, click Share.
IMPORTANT: Giving Students the Post permission in the collection makes it possible for the Student to select this collection media for submitting in an LMS/VLE Homework assignment through the Echo360 embed media tool. IF the student does that, that media is locked and cannot be edited or deleted, even by the media's owner. Admins can delete the media if necessary. Media owners can make a copy for themselves if they need to.
The user is added to the Membership list, and their Access level or Custom permissions are shown along with their name and email address, as shown below.